Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WA - state supreme court rules bar exam no longer required to practice law

WA - state supreme court rules bar exam no longer required to practice law

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    In this case, the devil is the leftist strategy behind this. It's both a troll of gun rights advocates by the left, and an attempt to get people other than their leftist cult to agree on limiting gun rights.
    The same dynamic is occurring here:

https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/stat...69734395118071

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    The same dynamic is occurring here:

https://twitter.com/EndWokeness/stat...69734395118071
    How is it the same dynamic? You think they're lowering standards to cause a backlash to demand even tougher ones?
    My two daughters and I were gang-raped by some of the Newcomers. It landed us in the hospital for 3 weeks as several bones were broken. I don't blame them, it was a sexual emergency and I wasn't about to go all white privilege and deny them the release they needed, especially after being stuck in a hotel for months. I see the Newcomers as family now. They are on our side and will help us stop Trump. It is a small price to pay. Anything but Trump.

-GLP poster

Quote Originally Posted by susano View Post
    How is it the same dynamic? You think they're lowering standards to cause a backlash to demand even tougher ones?
    The Washington court made the technically correct decision: the government should not be in the business of cartelizing professions by enforcing professional licensure - but they poisoned the pill by basing the decision upon the notion of identitarian "equity" rather than upon the principles of liberty.

The Washington court made the technically correct decision: the government should not be in the business of cartelizing professions by enforcing professional licensure - but they poisoned the pill by basing the decision upon the notion of identitarian "equity" rather than upon the principles of liberty.
    Certainly you have no objection to a private consortium issuing certificates of competency?

One of the oldest forms of that is what I spent my life working on: mariner's certifications.

Centuries ago the Hanseatic League required their vessel masters pass testing, demonstrating basic competencies as a means to reduce losses.

One of my most important and critical ones is the Dynamic Positioning certification.

That is tested and logged and training conducted under a private group in London called the Nautical Institute
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-21-2024 at 01:50 AM.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Certainly you have no objection to a private consortium issuing certificates of competency?
    No objections whatsoever.

That is the way it ought to be done.

One of the oldest forms of that what I spent my life working on: mariner's certifications.

Centuries ago the Hanseatic League required their vessel masters pass testing, demonstrating basic competencies as a means to reduce losses.
    Lex Mercatoria FTW

No objections whatsoever.

That is the way it ought to be done.

Lex Mercatoria FTW
    I thought so, just wanted to ask.

Of course, in this case what is happening, a private consortium is being dictated to by government to deliberately lower its standards because, apparently, coloreds are too stupid to pass the required competency examinations.

Now, far be it from me to defend lawyers, but if I'm dragged into a court on a serious charge, I want to know that my mouthpiece has at least passed a certification test of basic legal knowledge and procedures.
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Of course, in this case what is happening, a private consortium is being dictated to by government to deliberately lower its standards because, apparently, coloreds are too stupid to pass the required competency examinations.

Now, far be it from me to defend lawyers, but if I'm dragged into a court on a serious charge, I want to know that my mouthpiece has at least passed a certification test of basic legal knowledge and procedures.
    Sure, that's perfectly understandable - but it should still be optional. You shouldn't be barred (ha-ha) from employing the mouthpiece of your choice, regardless of whether he has a particular piece of paper issued by a politically well-connected guild that enjoys the exclusive favor of the State. (Of course, if you choose poorly, then that's on you - caveat emptor, and all that.)

However, with regard to public defenders, it's a different matter. PDs are agents of the state, not private actors, and as such, they should be held to higher standards, not lower ones. I don't even want to think about what this is apt to do to the quality of legal counsel for defendants who can''t afford their own lawyers (certified or not). I mean, it's not like the best and brightest lawyers are lining up to be public defenders to begin with - so this seems like just one more way to exacerbate the downward spiral of the criminal justice system. But I'm sure they'll find something else to blame it on (*cough* "systemic racism" *cough*) - which will, of course, justify still-newer idiotic policies to deal with the consequences of the previously new idiotic policies.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 03-22-2024 at 05:15 PM.

However, with regard to public defenders, it's a different matter. PDs are agents of the state, not private actors, and as such, they should be held to higher standards, not lower ones. I don't even want to think about what this is apt to do to the quality of legal counsel for defendants who can''t afford their own lawyers (certified or not). I mean, it's not like the best and brightest lawyers are lining up to be public defenders to begin with - so this seems like just one more way to exacerbate the downward spiral of the criminal justice system. But I'm sure they'll find something else to blame it on (*cough* "systemic racism" *cough*) - which will, of course, justify still-newer idiotic policies to deal with the consequences of the previously new idiotic policies.
    Ouch, I had not thought of that.

So, once again, white Marxists and liberals, in an attempt to "help" coloreds, end up hurting them even more.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ouch, I had not thought of that.

So, once again, white Marxists and liberals, in an attempt to "help" coloreds, end up hurting them even more.
    I know, right?

It's almost like there's a pattern or something ...

https://twitter.com/VivekGRamaswamy/...60525457916187
    The state of Washington just eliminated the bar exam requirement to become a lawyer in the name of DEI. We’re now entering the post-woke era where anti-meritocratic policies have become so normalized they are met with eye rolls and shrugs instead of shock and outrage. America is founded on merit. Meritocracy and “equity” are incompatible. Restore colorblind meritocracy.

https://twitter.com/barnes_law/statu...03222913520032

DEI = Didn't Earn It

That settles it... I'm hiring this guy to be my attorney:

I'll take Mona Lisa Vito ;-)

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    That settles it... I'm hiring this guy to be my attorney:

Quote Originally Posted by PAF View Post
    I'll take Mona Lisa Vito ;-)

It's the law firm of Howard Fine & Howard for me!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0v-0ju3TZs
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 03-24-2024 at 06:56 PM.

It's the law firm of Howard, Fine & Howard for me!

I’ve always been partial to the firm of Dewey, Cheathum & Howe myself.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

I'll take Barney Greenwald.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, the political appointees are saying that the state can't require you to pass the Bar exam in order to practice law?
    Last edited by unknown; 03-24-2024 at 08:16 PM.

How do medical licenses work?

It's the law firm of Howard Fine & Howard for me!

Soitenly, Judgy Wudgy!

Quote Originally Posted by A Son of Liberty View Post
    Soitenly, Judgy Wudgy!

Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CCTelander again.
    //

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    So, the political appointees are saying that the state can't require you to pass the Bar exam in order to practice law?
    No, the state is telling The Bar Association, a private professional group that administers testing and licensing for lawyers, that they can no longer require passing the test as a prerequisite to being given a Bar certificate to practice law, because apparently, aspiring lawyers of color are too stupid to pass the examination.

I'm no friend of lawyers or the bar or any of it, but if I needed a competent mouthpiece in the event of a criminal arrest (STFU and say nothing until you have consulted with competent legal counsel) I think I'd prefer one that was vetted by passing the bar exam and the rigorous testing that goes with that, rather than one vetted by Irving's House Of Lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    How do medical licenses work?
    Medical licensing boards run by each individual state.

"And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    A regular in the rotation of the Dr. Demento show.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries

I notice that there are only 2 men on this court...
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

One of the oldest forms of that is what I spent my life working on: mariner's certifications.

One of my most important and critical ones is the Dynamic Positioning certification.

That is tested and logged and training conducted under a private group in London called the Nautical Institute
    I know I sure wouldn't want somebody who couldn't find a can of relative bearing grease when he needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post

I notice that there are only 2 men on this court...
    How do you know?

A regular in the rotation of the Dr. Demento show.

“The doctor is in!”

A couple of my faves from those days:

Chris

I understand that this is part of the ongoing agenda to lower standards for retards.

But now I'm kind of curious about the way that the Bar Association works.

So, the states have said that in order to practice law, you have to be certified by or be a member of the Bar Association.

But the Bar Association is a private, for profit entity.
    Last edited by unknown; 03-26-2024 at 03:55 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast